Sunday, December 29, 2013

Reflections on 2013

2013 is the first year since 2009 that I didn't experience a monumental, life-altering, bench-mark moment.

2010- Engaged to Matt
2011- Graduation from SCSL, Married to Matt
2012- Moved to NC, birth of Luke Alexander

3 crazy years.

Even so, I believe that 2013 has been the most defining year for me, personally.  I feel like this year was my first year of true adulthood.
2013 is the first year I lived life without a major life event excusing my faults.  You know what I'm talking about.  It's a natural thing that happens.
Get engaged?  Wedding plans, marriage counseling, registering all take priority.
Get married?  You're a newlywed.  A honeymooner.  You are excused from real life.
Get pregnant?  Forget about it.  You get a free pass to all chairs, parking spots, and food.  You are, after all, donating your body to the cultivation of life.  You're excused.
Get a baby?  You aren't excused from real life.  You are forced to surrender your life and come to terms with a whole new life.  People get that.
Deaths, births, new jobs..it's life and we all experience those seasons.  Which is why we are understanding when those around us are adjusting to these major life events.

Not having one of these moments to fall back on this year was hard.  Looking back, I see that I allowed those major events to define me for that season.  Which is why 2013 has been such a crazy big year for me.  Being honest with yourself about yourself is crucial in progressing into who Jesus has called you to be.  That is what 2013 has done for me.  I've had to tell myself the truth.  No more excuses for complaining, or bitterness, or unforgiveness, or watching too much TV, or manipulating Matt (yes, I went there.  Be honest with yourself, too.), or spending frivolously..I could go on for days.  My point?  It's not until I recognize my faults and determine to progress forward that I will walk in the fullness of what God has for me right now.

It's been a tough year.  It's been an awesome year.

Aside from all the deep, spiritual, personal stuff, 2013 had some incredible moments!  They weren't the marriage, baby-having type, but I will for sure remember them.

Here are my top 5:

5. Momentum Youth Church

Taking some of our students on a mission trip to our heartland, Ecaudor, was literally a dream come true for me.

Another dream come true: seeing our students sing, dance, preach, and use all other gifts to glorify King Jesus.  We showed up and showed out at the National Fine Arts Festival.

Hands down, my favorite Wednesday night of the year.  Pack the House.

My heart is filled with so much expectancy when I think about our Student Leadership team.  Aside from Jesus commanding us to make disciples and us having the idea of multiplication ingrained in us at SCSL, there is nothing more fulfilling than watching our brothers and sisters get it.

I'm sure every pastor's wife feels this way.  Watching my husband preach is one my favorite things.  He makes me so proud.  I married up.

4. Weight Watchers
Yes, totally ridiculous.  But this picture represents a huge milestone to me:  the day I was able to buy a pair of pants from the juniors section after over a year of not recognizing myself in the mirror.  Taking control of my weight was defining for me in that I was reclaiming myself after allowing pregnancy to define me (just being real).

3. Anniversary Trip to Mexico
Our trip to Mexico was a celebratory vacation.  We celebrated surviving 2 years of marriage in which we had a baby, moved states, entered into ministry, and built/bought a house.

We were able to reconnect without the distraction of social media, work, ministry, or our sweet non-sleeping Lukey.


Come what may, baby!

2. Our First House


After waiting over a month through lender drama and a government shutdown, we were pumped to close.

Homeowners!







1. Luke
Until we have another, I'm sure our babe will forever be responsible for the most memorable moments.  This first full year with him has been wonderful and exciting and magical.







First Birthday!



Happy New Year, everyone!
The best is yet to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment