Thursday, May 15, 2014

Nap Time

I love it.
But, not for the obvious reasons (having time to clean, shower, eat, etc.).
It's the rocking, singing, snuggle time before he sleeps, and the warm weight of his not so little baby body after he's sound asleep in my lap.
Sure, I look forward to my approximate 2 hour window of free time every day.  But, to be honest... I spend a lot of that "free time" in the glider with my sleeping boy.
It is not lost on me that these days of rocking him to sleep won't last much longer (most of the articles and books suggest that I should be putting him in his crib when he is "drowsy but not yet sleeping.")  My little boy, who used to fit in the cradle of one arm, and now has feet that reach past my knees as his curly head rests on my shoulder.  He's so big.

I hope I never forget these moments I share with my son.  The times I think he's sleeping only for his head to pop up with his crooked, teethy smile... Or when he puts his soft hands on my face and pulls me in for kisses (which really consist of him ramming his face into my mouth over and over again).  He always has a sippy tucked under his arm as he drifts off.  Occasionally he'll want it placed on the table beside us..but will quickly change his mind.  The babbling baby talk that always ends in the same word.. "ball."  The search for the most comfortable position..will he scrunch up with his head on my chest?  Or, will he sprawl out on his back with his legs reaching farther down my legs every day? 

And when sleep finally catches him... the slow, steady breathing.  Sometimes with the whistle of a stuffy nose..is there any sweeter sound??  His soft curls that smell of lavender shampoo and sunscreen.. and how his hot-natured little body immediately gets sweaty once he falls asleep.  I love everything about this time of day.  And I had to write a blog to document some of my thoughts..because I know a time will come when I don't remember this stuff.. but, these are the moments that make me profoundly grateful to be a mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment